Date & Time: Tues Jan. 24 3:15 PM
Location: Google+ hangout
Members Present: Michael, Julius, Erin, Rebecca
Members Absent: none
- Introduced ourselves
- Greg Orr is looking for the email Julius sent with the prep materials
- Heidi Ellis is connected having some trouble with audio but the chat feature is working and she can hear us
- We lost Greg but he called back on the phone
- Greg was able to open the pdf of the presentation
- Sent Greg a new invite for the hangout.
- Got Greg back on google+
- Julius introduces premise of the game going over the presentation slides.
- Greg wants something more specific.
- Likes the framework but has some concerns about the technology that the players can introduce.
- Things the students have already begun to learn about
- invasive species
- habitat loss
- Would be able to understand the impact of technology based on these impacts better than some other impacts.
- Ex: shipping and the introduction of invasive species, and building reducing the presence of endangered habitats
- Suggested status bars with increasing invasive species, pollution, habitat loss
- Doesn't completely want to limit to environmental concerns
- Hardware issues trying to get netbooks for the classroom but currently have limited windows XP computer access
- Suggests talking to Z about the computer specs
- Typical class length = ??
- Will spend 15-20 minutes looking at game treatment, 20-30 mins for alpha and beta
- savable would be nice but tech situation might limit this ability
- science like chemistry not as important as overall impact
- building spaceship would require space different methods of building it might have different impacts on pollution
- choosing between two options allows them to have concrete choice
- running out of time
- will send further questions by email and possibly use hangout again later
- What is the average reading level? What are some names of books that the students have recently read (in order to gauge the level of vocabulary and reading skills)?
- "oh MY!!!"-heidi inner-city kids so usually low. Don't want to dumb it down just keep the blurbs short. Can help with vocabulary but not 500 words.
- 2nd - 6th grade