Sequel to the Mission Impossible movie that came out not too long ago.
- AlexBobbs thought it was a very mediocre action flick. The action was fun, but the spy stuff and plot twists were somewhat stupid and completely unworthy of the "Mission: Impossible" franchise. If you like Bond movies, and think you would like them without Q or the cheezy one-liners, you'll probably like this movie.
- AndrewSchoonmaker notes that the movie is not a big winner in the plot department but if you're an action movie fan, you'll probably like it anyway. At the least, he didn't consider it money wasted. Just don't think about it and it'll be fine. ;-)
- CurtisVinson thought that it was possibly the worst movie I've seen all summer (admittedly, out of only three movies I've seen). I knew things were going downhill when we had the obligatory sex scene not thirty minutes into the movie, and I was right. (Actually, I thought it was kind of nice how they got it out of the way like that, although it was rather gratuitous -- Andrew) The plot was implausible and eminently predictable: I saw every plot twist coming well ahead of the game. The cinematography was heavy-handed and in many places just plain bad. The worst Bond movies were better than this; they at least had a sense of style and a bit of tongue-in-cheek attitude. Uh, have you seen Dr. No? If you're a hard-core action fan, don't care at all about plot or characterization, and are capable of not thinking for two hours, you might enjoy this movie. My two dollars and two hours would have been spent better watching grass grow (and to think that my brother not only saw this movie once, but then convinced us to go with him when he saw it again).
- JoeFrosh says: Well, I liked it more than the first one, though perhaps that's because when I went to the first one I was expecting it to be good, and when I went to this one I was expecting it to be bad. I think in general if you go into this (or any movie) with an appropriate attitude, it can turn out ok. The problem is knowing what that attitude is...
- DavidGoldsheft? thinks that the biggest problem with MI2 is that is lacks almost everything that made Mission: Impossible (the TV series) cool, most notably a crack TEAM of agents, each with their own personality and special skills. The plot wasn't great, but that is true of a lot of recent action flicks (so it didn't bug me as much as other things). The first MI movie started out well, but then they went and killed everyone off. I was expecting Emilio Estevez's character to be my favorite, and then he had to get himself impaled by an elevator shaft thingy. And what was the deal with those spikes anyway? Do elevators really come with counter-terrorism measures like that? The other thing that bugged me was that everyone in Australia made a big deal about how much the movie promoted Oz. In reality, all it had was a few nice shots of Sydney Harbor and a short scene on an outback station (which could have been pretty much anywhere). The Aussie bloke was nothing more than a chopper pilot, and he didn't say much anyway. At least it came out there within a reasonable time of the American release. The best thing they could have done for this movie would have been to remove "Mission Impossible" from the title and call it something else. I'd agree with you, but then they wouldn't have been able to use the cool theme music... ;-) --Andrew
- KimEspinoza saw it and thought it was ok. She has a natural liking for these kinds of movies, so she can't think too negatively about it. She wasn't super impressed with it though. But it was fine for her purposes.
- NateCappallo was disappointed with this movie. I really enjoyed the first movie, but the main reason I enjoyed was for the spy attitude and for the great plot twists. Not only did this movie have few plot twists, and not only were they pretty obvious, but they were also explained to us several times to the point of beating us over the head with them. I suspect the reasoning behind this was in lieu of how many people were confused by the first one the first time they saw it, but I don't understand that aspect. It was an excellent action movie though, and worth it in that aspect.