Our robot, top-down.

The two webcam "eyes" of our robot: the top one is fastened to the top of the robot itself by a bolt, and the other is held in place by duct tape. The first camera is used to locate papers further away from the robot, orient it towards them, and get them in range of the lower camera. The lower camera then causes the robot to center on the document. Once the lower camera has centered, the robot takes a picture using the higher-resolution digital camera.

A piece of paper as seen by the lower camera, both before and after image-processing. To preprocess the image, we took the saturation and value of each pixel, then set that pixel's blue channel to (value)6 * (1 - saturation)5, and zeroed out the other two channels. This removed pretty much all the noise in the image (that is, anything that wasn't pure white), allowing us to run the Canny edgefinding, contour-finding and polygon simplification algorithms we used in our Clinic project, with some relaxed constraints due to the image's lower resolution.

The Arduino I/O control board used to interface the robot's laptop "brain" with the camera-triggering servo.

This duct tape cradle holds the digital camera used to take the final picture. While it keeps the camera in generally the right place, it is bad at keeping it and the trigger arm aligned with each other.