General Introductions and References
Various good basic introductions to numerical analysis
- N. Asaithambi (1995) Numerical Analysis: Theory and Practice, Saunders.
[This is at an elementary level, but encyclopedic in size and coverage.]
- K. Atkinson (1993) Elementary Numerical Analysis, 2nd edition, John Wiley.
- K. Atkinson (1989) An Introduction to Numerical Analysis, 2nd edition,
John Wiley. [At a slightly more advanced level than the previous book.]
- James Buchanan & Peter Turner (1992) Numerical Methods and Analysis,
- Gwynne Evans (1995) Practical Numerical Analysis, John Wiley.
- D. Kahaner, C. Moler, & S. Nash (1989) Numerical Methods and Software,
Prentice-Hall. [A well referenced text, with a number of good quality
programs. Often used in Engineering College courses across the country.]
- David Kincaid & Ward Cheney (1991) Numerical Analysis, Brooks/Cole.
A bit more advanced
- J. Stoer & R. Bulirsch (1993) Introduction to Numerical Analysis
(second edition), (translated by R. Bartels, W. Gautschi, and C. Witzgall)
Springer-Verlag, New York.
A very useful practical reference, though apparently not
presenting some things exactly as the numerical analysts would want to
- W. Press, B. Flannery, S. Teukolsky, & W. Vetterling (1986) Numerical
Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press.
[There are many editions of this, specialized for various programming
Matrix Computation, Linear Algebra
- G. Golub and C. Van Loan (1989) Matrix Computations, John Hopkins Press.
- Watkins, David S. (1991) Fundamentals of Matrix Computations,
John Wiley, New York.
You might also want to brush up on your
linear algebra .
- L. Shampine (1994) Numerical Solution of Ordinary Differential
Equations, Chapman & Hall Pub. [Shampine is probably the leading
developer of ODE software on a world wide basis.]
- Claes Johnson (1987?) Numerical Solution of Partial Differential
Equations by the Finite Element Method, Cambridge Univ Press.
You might also be interested in
scientific data analysis and
Almost all these references were given to us by
Ken Atkinson .