CS 125, Fall 2017
Homework 2—HTTP, Mail, and DNS
Due: Monday, September 18, 2017 (beginning of class)
The purpose of this assignment is to give you a deeper understanding
of some of the important Internet protocols. It will also give you
practice in wading through RFCs. Oh, and one other thing…
Please submit your answers on paper (preferably typed and formatted
with LaTeX). The due date is the beginning of class on Monday,
September 18, 2017.
All problems from the book are taken from Chapter 2.
- [Double points.] What is your favorite picture in
Prof. Kuenning's office? (All answers are correct as long as
they mention a picture that is actually there; the point is to
get you to find my office and eat my candy.)
- Problem P6. You can expect to spend a fair amount
of time on this one.
- Problem P15. Try to get away without reading the whole RFC.
- Problem P19. The problem is formatted poorly; the root
servers are named
b.root-servers.net, etc. up to
m.root-servers.net. Don't just use "a"; pick one
- Problem P20.
- Problem P21. Assume that you can use Wireshark. Then
re-explain assuming that Wireshark isn't available.
- How much time did you spend on this assignment?
© 2017, Geoff Kuenning
This page is maintained by Geoff