"It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!"
- This actually means that "It does not matter whether or not the thing in question has the swing quality." This may or may not be the intent of the swingers behind this page.
- Actually, there are two ways to parse that statement. Looking at the lyrics to the song of that title, it would appear that the intended meaning is that the music has no meaning unless it "has the swing quality."
"Dancing is merely the vertical expression of a horizontal desire"
I cast Charleston... at the darkness.
Wow this page was horribly (as in 3+ years) out of date... someone want to update this to reflect the actual state of affairs? Eg, Pomona somewhere, and who knows.
Back in the GoodOlDays
, Sleazy 'Ryan' Haskett taught a bunch of us FrOsh
to dance. I took over from him as the 'organizer' (if such a thing could be said to be organized) the next year. Both those years, and presumably at least one year before, Mudd held SwingDancing
on Wednesdays in PlattCampusCenter?
. Then my Junior year, as a personal favor to IvyGrey?
, i moved Mudd's dancing to Monday and allowed them to host theirs on Wednesday. I reclaimed Wednesday the following year, and i believe that (2001-2) was the last year there was SwingDancing
on Mudd as a regular activity. --NickJohnson
Sadly there hasn't been dancing in Platt for a long time now (unless you count RenoNight?), but Blaisdell Swing Club holds swing dancing on monday nights. Last year it was down on NorthPomona? somewhere.
If you want to learn Lindy Hop you can, through (surprise!) the Lindy Hop club. Fall 2004 they met in the Smith campus center on Pomona, at 2:00 on Saturdays, don't know if that's slated to change for spring 2005, but I'd guess not. It's an hour of learning how to dance, followed by an hour of music for those who want to dance without being told what to do. (Stay to dance afterward. I didn't for a while and now I can't remember anything.)
- It is indeed from 2-4 on Saturdays in Edmunds Ballroom. I think Dan Pederson and Katie Keller are still teaching lessons next semester. Also if you're interested in other forms of swing (i.e. East Coast and West Coast) the Social Dance classes at Pomona teach them.
- Do i want to know why Dan Pederson links to where it does?
- Uh, because he taught me how to lindy? *innocent expression* --TaraMartin