Subject: Re: Valentines Day Quotes

From: [email-masked] (Ted)
Date: 3 Feb 94 16:58:09 GMT

[email-masked] writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Philip Hallstrom) writes:
>	"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then 
>	suddenly he turns on you with a miniature maching gun."
>			- from a cartoon by Matt Groening

I was going to just post the companion to that:

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
 over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

But then I wound up finding all these.  They run the gamut.
I do notice that there are two from the letters pages of Cerebus, and two
from Neil Gaiman.  And two from Oscar Wilde, the famous Cerebus supporting
character.  Weird.

"The ones who love us best
 Are the ones we'll lay to rest;
        and visit their graves on holidays at best.
 The ones who love us least
 Are the ones we'll die to please;
        if it's any consolation, I don't begin to understand it."
                    -- The Replacements

"I am ze locksmith of love, no?" -- Pepe Le Peau

"Love just makes you so damn optimistic" - soap opera plot summary

"Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." -- H.L. Mencken

"Falling in love makes smoking pot all day look like the ultimate in
 restraint." -- Dave Sim

"Love and stoplights can be cruel." -- Sesame Street

"It's a special feeling I get when a friend falls in love...I feel
 so...so..."
 "Bitter?"
 "That's it exactly."  --Doctor Doctor

"Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain emties.~
                                              --Jules Renard

"Dave.  Love is like jury duty, is what I'm trying to say."
        -- Thom E. Lake, in Aardvark Comment

"Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows
 out the candle and blows up the bonfire." -- La Rochefoucauld

"My dear boy, the people who love only once in their lives are really the
 shallow people.  What they call their loyalty and their fidelity, I call
 their lethargy of custom or their lack of imagination.  Faithfulness is to
 the emotional life what constancy is to the intellect - simply a confession
 of failure.  Faithfulness!  I must analyse it some day.  The passion for
 property is in it.  There are many things that we would throw away if we were
 not afraid that others might pick them up."  -- Ocsar Wilde

"What's the name of the word for the precise moment when you realize that
 you've actually forgotten how it felt to make love to somebody you really
 liked a long time ago?"
 "There isn't one." -- Delirium and Dream

"When we hold each other, in the darkness, it doesn't make the bad things go
 away.  The bad things are still out there.  The nightmares are still walking.
 When we hold each other we feel - not safe, but better.  'It's all right,' we
 whisper.  'I'm here.  I love you.'  And we lie, 'I'll never leave you.' For
 just a moment or two the darkness doesn't feel so bad.  When we hold each
 other." -- John Constantine, written by Neil Gaiman

"Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
 A medley of extemporanea;
 And love is thing that can never go wrong;
 And I am Marie of Romania." -- Dorothy Parker

"Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love."
     -- Charlie Brown

"Never judge someone by who he's in love with; judge him by his friends.
 People fall in love with the most appalling people.  Take a cool, appraising
 glance at his pals." -- Cynthia Heimel

"Love is like pi -- natural, irrational, and VERY important." --Lisa Hoffmann

"Never be unfaithful to a lover, except with your wife." -- PJ O'Rourke

"Love makes the time pass.  Time makes love pass." -- French Proverb

"Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last
 romance." -- Ocsar Wilde

"The fickleness of the woman I love is only equaled by the infernal
 constancy of the women who love me." -- George Bernard Shaw

"Love is much nicer to be in than an automobile accident, a tight
 girdle, a higher tax bracket, or a holding pattern over Philadelphia."
        -- Judith Viorst

"Love is a fire.  But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down
 your house, you can never tell." -- Joan Crawford

-- 
Ted Faber               Figment at Large             [email-masked]
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- Maugham