Letters of Recommendation
If I have agreed to write a recommendation for you, please give me
a folder containing
Furthermore, at least two weeks before the first letter is due,
e-mail me your answers to the following questions (the more details the better):
- a unofficial copy of your transcript,
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable),
- all necessary forms
- a list of schools and due dates
to chat with me or email me about other your letter.
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying? (scholarship, graduate school,
- How long have I known you (years/months), and what is my relationship(s) to
you (instructor, advisor, etc.)? Have you graded or tutored for me?
If so, for what class(es) and when?
- For what class(es) have I had you, what final grade(s) did
I assign you, and how did you distinguish yourself in my
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award
help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs,
Modified from Michael Orrison's page.