Independenent Study Requirements
These are the general requirements for an independent study project.
Meeting these requirements will likely earn you a B for this project. Strong results and/or more effort
will improve your grade. Similarly, weak results and/or less effort will diminish your grade.
- You should plan on spending about 3 hours per week per unit of credit
on this project. Included in
this time are regular meetings with me; usually once a week or bi-weekly.
- In the first week or so, you need to develop a goal breakdown for the semester that describes,
at a high level, your major objectives.
- You are required to maintain a wiki page on your project. The wiki should include (at least)
of your project
- your goal breakdown
- your current short term goals (i.e. those due at our next meeting)
- a work log that shows when you worked on the project, how long you spent, and what you accomplished
- links to any relevent documents, code, etc.
- You must use version control if you are developing code.
- When we meet you are expected to have completed your current short-term objectives, be able to demonstrate
that they are completed, and have an outline of the objectives for the coming work period.
- You are required to document your work in some format that we agree on; a short summary
report, a technical document appropriate for publication, and/or a poster appropriate for
- Mid-semester and at the close of the semester you are required to complete evaluation
forms for yourself and, if you are part of a team, your teammates.