.The Akari Page
Links fixed, spring 2000
Who is Akari Unryuu? Akari is a character from the anime and manga series Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi. If you've only read the English translations of Ranma by Viz Communications, you might not know her, since she doesn't show up until later. Akari first appears in Volume #30 of the manga, and again in vols 31, 35, and 36. Since Akari didn't seem to have any homepages on the web, I thought she might be lonely, so I made this one! ^_^;
Akari loves pigs! Akari comes from a family that has trained prizewinning Sumo Pigs for generations. She loves and respects all pigs - she couldn't dislike a pig if she tried! She knows that the pig is truly the paragon of the animal kingdom. Her favorite pig is the 14th champion of the Pig Sumo Room, Katsunishiki ("-nishiki" is often used as an ending for names of Sumo wrestlers; "Katsu" means "pork"). Akari's grandfather told her that she should only marry someone who could defeat Katsunishiki in battle.
"Strong, like a pig... Robust like a pig... Gentle like a pig... Intelligent like a pig... Refreshing like a pig, cool like a pig..."
Akari loves Ryouga! When Akari first met Ryouga Hibiki, it was love at first sight. When he defeated Katsunishiki, it was even better. And when she found out that he sometimes turns into a cute little black pig, well, that settled it! Like most Ranma 1/2 relationships, this one got off to a bit of a rocky start, but it all worked out with a little help from encouraging friends. He had been in love with Akane for most of the story, but her engagement to Ranma kept breaking poor Ryouga's heart of glass. But with Akari... "This warm feeling... This, filling the cracks in my heart..." (Ryouga later claimed that it was just Akari's homemade cookies that gave him a warm feeling, but we all know true love when we see it. ^_^)
- akari-page.gif A full page from the manga showing Akari, Katsunishiki, and Ryouga. vol 31 part 5 pg 71
- akari-color.jpg A color pic of Akari with p-chan. #30, back cover
- akari-dress.gif A picture of Akari in a sundress. #36 part 2 pg 21
- akari-pic.gif Akari waiting for Ryouga to show up for a picnic. The thought ballon says "Please come soon, Ryouga-sama." #36 part 2 pg 25
- akari-case.gif Ryouga's special pictues of his two loves. #37
- akari3.gif Akari with a fan. #30 part 1 pg 12
- akari4.gif Akari in a kimono. #30 part 3 pg 38
- akari5.gif Akari and Akane. #31 part 4 pg 66
- akari-b.gif Ryouga is a bit surprised to find Akari sitting on a bed. #31 part 5 pg 74
- akari-d.gif Akari doing a little dance after discovering P-chan's identity. #30 part 3 pg 50
- akari-final.jpg Akari and Ryouga with Ryouga's dog and puppies. (in color) Ranma 1/2 Memorial Album
- akari-knit.jpg Akari knitting a little pig. (in color) Ranma 1/2 Memorial Album
- akari-water.jpg A watercolor of Akari and Ryouga painted by Lyn Daniels (thanks, Lyn!)
- Thanks go to Doug Lark and Patrick Vera for providing many of these scans!
- If anyone knows where I can find any more Akari pictures, please tell me! ^_^
Manga translations featuring Akari
- Vol.#30, parts 1-3 The first appearance of Akari - a new love is born. (If anyone knows who translated these, tell me and I'll be glad to give them credit!)
- Vol.#31, parts 4-5 Ryouga drives himself insane choosing between Akari and Akane, with no help at all from Ranma. Translation by Song Bang.
- Vol.#36, part 2 Akari waits patiently as Ryouga attempts to find the way to his date... Translation by Song Bang.
More Stuff featuring Akari
- LUCKY a fanfic by Sean Gaffney. A resolution of Ryouga's inner conflicts, with some help from inner voices and Akari-chan.
- Marriage Prospects. A review of Akari that I did for the anime marriage homepage...
- I, Ben Elgin, am now the official Protecter of Akari and Katsunishiki, the Sacred Sumo Pig of Ryouga, in the Church of Ryouga. Check out Caroline's page for more Ryouga and Akari worship.
- Here's a general Ranma 1/2 page by Philip Mak, with lots of info. He linked to me, so I'm linking to him. ^_^;
- If you have an Akari fanfic or other material you'd like to submit, mail me! ^_^
Back to my home page
Last Modified 2/1/00 (fixed links); ©1996-97 by
The counters at Yggdrasil think people have said hello to Akari-chan times.