To try this for yourself, go to the WikiWikiSandbox
For more details, see this page on the original WikiWikiWeb: http://wiki.c2.com/?TextFormattingRules
- Don't indent. Instead, separate paragraphs with blank lines.
- Four or more minus signs make a horizontal rule.
- Begin a line with * to create a bulleted list item.
- Use ** for a second level, etc.
- *** for third-level nesting.
- Each item must be on a single line.
- Use # for ordered lists.
- Lists are numbered automatically.
- Again, use ##, ###, etc. for nested lists.
- Indent with one or more spaces to enter preformatted text. This will apear in monospace, with carriage returns treated literally:
This is in
- <nowiki>Enclose text in nowiki tags to prevent ''wiki formatting.''</nowiki>
- Begin a line with a colon to make it indented, like this.
- Use doubled single-quotes ('') for emphasis.
- Use tripled single-quotes (''') for strong emphasis.
- <i></i> and <b></b> also work.
- Emphasis can be used multiple times in a line, but cannot cross line boundaries.
- Begin a line with '= ' (note the space); end the heading with ' ='.
- More equals signs make for smaller headings (up to six).
This is what happens when you use six.
- Text after the end of the heading goes into a new paragraph.
- Join capitalized words into a WikiName to link to another FunWiki page.
- Alternately, just type a full URL: http://www.hmc.edu/
- URLs ending with png, jpg, jpeg, or gif cause the linked image to be inserted into the page.
- To make a link with a name, place it in brackets like this: [http://www.hmc.edu Harvey Mudd College]. It will appear as [Harvey Mudd College].
- To link to another Wiki page with a name other than the Wiki page's name, place it in brackets like this: [[EastDorm|East]]. It will appear as East.